Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Social Media and Me

As a student in the digital age everything I do is affected by social media. I use it to check in with people that I have lost personal contact with, to research potential purchases and even to figure out what to make for dinner. Yesterday Dean Brach made an interesting point that although we follow people on sites such as Facebook and LinkedIn, we don't necessarily still have a personal connection with them. We feel like we know people when in actuality we only know their social media persona. After giving his point some thought, I realize how right he is. I don't have 900 friends in real life; that would be ridiculous. Social media tricks our brain into thinking we are having real contact when we aren't. Aside from that, sites such as Yelp help me decide where I should eat, shop, and go with friends. It has become an integral part of my decision process. Actually thinking about that it seems that Yelp takes a lot of spontaneity out of my decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment